We all have studied how women did not get to enjoy the same rights that men did. Co-education was not even a common term back in the day. In many areas worldwide, girls were not sent to school as they were believed to be the 'home-makers. In ancient times, one of the countries that practiced co-education was Greece. If we look at our mythology, it can be known that women were treated with great respect during the Vedic period and were allowed to study together with men. But gradually there was a decline in the education of girls. But in this modern age, we can find an enormous number of co-ed schools. Co-education means that girls and boys are taught together under the same roof. This would not only give equal rights to both men and women, but it will also help them respect each other's genders more. In simple terms, co-education eliminates gender inequality and builds a much healthier competitive environment.
Benefits of a Co-ed School
As mentioned above, co-education helps build a competitive environment among peers and helps in decreasing gender inequality. But there are more things that co-education does better than same-sex schools.
- Co-education teaches both the genders to learn how to co-exist together and respect each other by allowing them to communicate daily.
- Co-education helps to build the base for nourishing self-esteem in individuals.
- When the children learn to respect each other and understand each other, they will become better humans. Hence, co-education plays an integral part in character building.
- There are fewer chances of sex discrimination, and the kids will learn to respect the other gender.
Chennai-The Gateway to South India
The fourth-largest metropolitan city in India, Chennai, is the capital city of Tamil Nadu State. It has an area of 174 sq. km. It lies on the coast of Bay Bengal and possesses the biggest artificial seaport in India. The city's official language is Tamil, but English, Hindi, Urdu, Malayalam are also used. Chennai has an excellent literacy rate of 93.7% and 86.64% of males and females, respectively (Census 2011). The city is home to various educational institutions-Dr. Ambedkar Law University,SRMC Chennai,IIT Madras,LIBA Chennai, etc.
TOP CO-ED SCHOOLS IN CHENNAI
- The School Kfi
- Abacus Montessori School
- Sishya School
- Headstart Learning Centre International School
- Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School
- Hindustan International School
- Vaels International School Chennai
- Lady Andal Venkatasubba Rao Matriculation SchoolPadma Seshadri Bala Bhavan Senior Secondary School
- Chettinad Vidyashram
These are some of the best co-ed schools in Chennai. All these schools follow curriculums of either Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), New Delhi, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi, Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE), International Baccalaureate (IB) or state board, etc. the facilities in these schools are top-notch. Many schools offer art rooms, music rooms, AV rooms, etc. Also, facilities for various sports badminton, cricket, hockey, football, basketball, table tennis, etc. The schools provide well-equipped laboratories, E-boards, innovative classes, etc. The libraries of each school have a vast collection of books, and some may even offer DVDs and CD-ROMs. These schools have picked their staff after high evaluation, and all the teachers are highly qualified and well-trained.